Ergonomic Health Consultation from Dr. Steven Diamant
Computers and Proper Spinal Alignment
When sitting at your desk working on the computer you feel:
- Tension across the shoulders
- Pain, numbness, and tingling in the arms or hands
- Low back, neck or shoulder pain
Can you relate to any of these symptoms? If so, it may be time to address your workstation and make some changes!
Steven Diamant, DC offers courtesy, in-office consultations to address common workstation issues that can lead to serious pain and discomfort. Dr. Diamant will speak with you about simple changes that can make a big difference not only in your comfort at work, but also in your overall health.
No payment is required – we only ask that you extend the benefit of this service to others by making a donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation at www.wish.org or 800.722.WISH.
Please contact Dr. Diamant’s office at (212) 832-3343 or [email protected] to schedule your in-office ergonomic consultation.
How Can Ergonomics Benefit My Company?
Ergonomics is the science of designing the workstation to fit the worker.
An effective ergonomics program in the workplace benefits both the employee and the employer. The worker experiences increased comfort and job satisfaction, while the employer reduces absenteeism, decreases insurance costs, improves injury prevention and promotes early returns to work after injury occurs.
Every year, hundreds of thousands of work days are lost due to work-related injuries. For example, almost $18 million dollars is paid out annually in lost-time compensation to employees for musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs), equating to employees missing an average of 10 days of work. MSDs include injuries such as back sprain, muscle strain, tendonitis, and carpal tunnel syndrome. These injuries may occur due to static exertion: holding activities; poor chair or monitor height; or awkward keyboard location. Often times these conditions can contribute to a company’s pay out for worker’s compensation.
Some of the physical benefits gained by employees from Ergonomic consultations include:
- Reduced neck and shoulder strain
- Reduced hand and wrist strain, including carpal tunnel syndrome
- Reduced stress on joints and nerves in the arms, back, and neck
- Reduced occurrence of headaches and eye strain at work
- Reduced mid, lower, and upper back pain
- Improved well-being at work
Some of the business benefits gained by employers from Ergonomic consultations include:
- A study on the relationship between ergonomic work environments and productivity from a broad cross-section across North America found that absenteeism fell from 4% to 1% after workstation design changes were implemented; and employee productivity was subjectively judged as “much improved”.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield found that after implementing ergonomic designs in employee workstations, there was a 4.4% improvement in productivity.
- An ergonomics program at Johns Hopkins Hospital resulted in an 80% reduction in MSDs over a 6-year period.
- Intel reported a 72% reduction in MSDs over a 4-year period after implementing an ergonomics program.
For more information or to set up an in-office consultation with Dr. Diamant, please contact Dr. Diamant’s office at (212) 832-3343 or [email protected].